Friday 2 July 2004

I Am A Passenger

I got on. Chose a seat, went over and sat in it. It was central on the middle seat section. Became aware of the fact that on 3 'corner' seats (those on each end of the row of seats) were elderly gentlemen: one with a tartan shopping trolley and a huge belly; one with one of those hats on with under-chin fasteners that were hanging down floppy around his ears and checked socks with his sandals; and a third with a suit on. And they were all staring at me. So I buried myself in my notebook and tried to ignore them. At the following station a man got on and sat next to me. Middle aged. Very hairy hands. Fraying shirt cuffs and a digital calculator watch. Haven't seen one of those since I was in junior school in the 70s. They were the bees knees then.

No comments: