Saturday 20 December 2003

So, Let's Go Again

Friday night was office party mark 2. Yesterday was the party with the people in the physical office I work in. Today was the party with the people who employ me (complicated situation - I do project work, I work off-site).

We went for the obligatory meal - but this year we had pizza! Every kid's favourite. We were in La Porchetta on Upper Street. The one unique aspect of this restaurant is their traditional celebration of birthdays. The waiters all grab 2 metal trays and clang them together to the worst rendition of happy birthday that could be found on any recording and slap a pizza dough on the unfortunate's head who thought it would be fun to come here for their birthday. I don't know why exactly but every time you come to La Porchetta there is always at least one birthday.

We had to do Secret Santa. For £3.

I have a huge problem with Secret Santa. I think too much. Some people know that they are going to buy something stupid and ridiculous and laugh. I try to find something good for the money. Last year I bought a wind-up Santa toy old-style. I did that because a. I liked it and b. at least it was christmassy. The person who got it left it on the table of the place we were celebrating. This year I thought, it'll have to be less my taste and maybe more useful, thinking unisex. I bought a calander from Muji, in the sale. I did this thinking a. its actually more expensive usually but as its on sale it qualifies at the price, b. its useful for the office, c. its really inoffensive. This year the woman who got it would have preferred something tastelessly chinz and was bitterly disappointed because a. it was a calander and b. it was very plain. Next year I'm going to a joke shop and I'm going to buy something stupid, ridiculously unnecessary and I'm going to laugh.

Last year for secret santa I received a stress-relief puzzle which had a piece of string on a hoop wound round a wooden hexagon with holes in. I still haven't solved that damn puzzle. This year I recieved a video. Of Dancing with the Teletubbies. I don't know why but I was disappointed. I would rather have had my calander back. (I do know someone who will love it though).

No comments: