Saturday 6 December 2003

The Opticians

Today we were mostly accompanying bails to the optician. I like to do this partly because the opticians is actually a great place (I'll explain) and partly because she is so shortsighted that when she tries on a new frame she can't see herself in the mirror to tell what they look like and she needs a second opinion.

The optician of choice is 20/20 Optical Store on Tottenham Court Road. I've been a client of theirs since before they moved from Picadilly. I like them for loads of reasons: they often can see you at the drop of a hat; they stay open late on Thursdays; they are very friendly and welcoming; they have a fantastic selection of glasses; they have world-class equipment; they do the best eye sight test I have found; they buy the papers so that while you wait you can read the news; they have a cafe which serves hot chocolate in the french style that is thick like custard.

So a couple of years ago I was getting an eye test and the optician turned my eyelid inside out (much to my horror and lots of whimpering) asked me if I wanted to go blind and told me I had to stop wearing my contact lenses apart from perhaps a couple of times a week for maximum of four hours at a time. He struck fear into me. I decided to give up contacts for the meantime and in order to make sure I did I invested heavily in glasses. This was the trip that I discovered Alain Mikli - french, tres stylish. Sadly usually the most expensive frames in the shop. But when you've worn great glasses, it really is damn hard to go back. They have sprung arms, so they never slide down. They are wide, so you get a good range of vision. They come in colours, so you don't have to look severe, unless of course you want to. I can match them to the colour of my highlights and vice versa (as I do with my current ones).

Its now 2 years later and the tracemarks of capilliaries in my eyes are fading (due to no wearing of contact lenses). Which is good. I am also the proud owner of 2 pairs of mikli glasses.

No comments: