Monday 15 December 2003

In Tinderbox, Contemplating the World

There are two sorts of people - front of the bus and back of the bus people. I am a front of the bus person because I like to see where I am going. But I harbour secret desires to be a back of the bus person - somehow its always been cooler to be at the back - school, buses, cinema - there always seems to be more going on there. I find I prefer to be at the front in all cases.

A couple stand outside the huge plate glass window and debate whether or not to come in. They are both wearing berets. He is smoking and kicking up a fuss. She is wearing long white leather gloves and a diamonte sprig on her lapel. He wins. They don't come in.

A couple with lidded coffee cups come in and ask if they can use the internet. They are turned away with their competitor's coffee.

Coffee lids are funny - they didn't exist until recently and now we all use them. They remind me of my orange double-handled beaker from when I was getting weaned - the sort with a lid with a mouth piece on it. Same principle I suppose - designed to help us not spill the drink.

Robert Smith of the Cure is singing friday I'm in love, tuesday wednesday stay in bed....

No comments: