Sunday 14 December 2003

Atmospheric Sunday Night

I had bought tickets to see the Klezmer Swingers at the Purcell Room for my Dad and me. He was too sick to come.

As I got off the bus on Waterloo Bridge I was sprayed in the face with water, like you are when the wind catches water from the sea at the beach. It was damp out but not raining - so this was suprising, it was hard to believe that the wind was strong enough to be catching water from the Thames and carrying it so high.

When I got down onto the middle level I found that the trees had been dressed with lights that were flicking and flashing highlighting branches back and forth. Eerie movie soundtrack music was playing intertwined with a dinking piano (not quite tinkling, a bit more scratchy, if you know what I mean). And then a shuuuuuush sound happened and a fine mist came out from the branches and blew off in the wind. This is what I had been hit in the face by when I was on the bridge. It was marvelous and totally captivating. Until it got too cold to stand watching and getting wetted by the misty wind.

No comments: