Saturday 30 August 2003

The Russians Are Coming!

An elderly woman with a strong deep russian accent was talking to herself and the bus in general, "...no gambling places in Russia - Americans brought them. I play bridge but not for money but they are very intelligent cards. And I play, what you call...Chess. Very intelligent games only. In Russian they don't have gardens or parks, they didn't let us. No gambling but the communists couldn't break us. We liked Macdonalds even though they say spit it out. No salt, no coffee, no red meat, no childcare. My husband couldn't stand gambling, he smoked, couldn't stop him, he died, didn't gamble though. Chocolate is bad to eat. Some people sit and eat it all the time. I live here 65 years I know where I am now... ha! He smiled to me, I don't know him... whuupp! Oh my godt - crash on Upper Street - I guess the driver must stop in an emergency. You know darlink, if you always do right you never do wrong - always be nice to your husband, your children, have plenty sex with your husband, always do right and you'll never do wrong..."

I was expecting a very large old woman with a stick and bleached blond hair. But she wasn't.

No comments: