Tuesday 5 August 2003

Old Wives Tales

Is there any truth in the one that says that touching a frog or a toad will give you warts? I found a toad, I think (not sure what the difference between them is), on the doormat outside our house yesterday. Our house seems to stand exactly in the path of frogs and toads going to their spawning ground because we are often overrun with them at particular times of year (i.e. now). So, anyway, I picked him up and took him out back, in my bare hand. Only now I'm worrying about the wart thing. It can't be true... And not half as scary as HS and I having to share the shower in Thailand with a toad who had a lovely big red line down his back (we could never be sure what was dangerous and what wasn't - it was only after I came back up the beach after snorkelling that we discovered that the snake with black silver bands that I had seen in the shallows was actually deadly - nothing like being well informed and prepared).

No comments: